Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Rolling With The Punches

Do you know how to get five strangers in ten minutes offer to help you out? Have your car break down with a three year old in it. Cricket - with spectacular timing - had her serpentine belt fade into oblivion as Cayden and I pulled into the parking lot of Action Rental this morning. Being a very wise and mechanically inclined person, I decided that it would be a poor plan to try and drive 14 miles to the dealer, seeing as everything in our car (alternator, power steering, etc..) is run by the serpentine belt. So in my wisdom, I decided to call a tow truck. Have I mentioned the three year old in this story yet? The three year old who whined and cried the entire 20 minute drive from Daddy's work to the parking lot of doom? The very very hungry three year old? The second I told him to be quite so that I could listen and see if our car was the source of that awful noise, he transformed into the most wonderful,easy going kid in the world. He did not tear apart the rental shop while I called the dealer. He patiently sat with me in the trunk and listened to a book while we waited for the tow truck. He LOVED riding in the tow truck. You should call the house some time this week to chat with him about it, I imagine it will factor into his conversations for a while. And let us not get into how exciting the dealership was. Do you know how many cars there are there? Cars you can sit in? With doors you can shut! While he was completely baffled by the process, he was so charming and sweet that he made what could have been an awful morning really entertaining. Turns out, when my traveling companion loves tow! trucks! that much, they become a little more fun for me too.

No comments: