Monday, April 09, 2007

And some more sewing...

[jordanna]

We had a ridiculously industrious weekend. Saturday I (mostly) painted the hallway while Ty painted and tacked up the base boards he had cut a couple weeks ago. We figure we aren't really going to finish that project until, oh, labor day so we should probably install the already cut pieces to prevent them from getting completely trashed. Then I continued the sewing mission of 07.

When I finished my PhD, my parents gave me a graduation present that was so generous my mind went numb and I could barely stammer out my thanks: a brand new Bernina sewing machine and a fantastic used Singer serger. I have used these gifts many times, but the last month has been filled with sewing the likes of which god has never seen. This weekend was a marathon in which I finished the crib mattress (long story that starts with 'toxic and bad for baby' and ends with 'all natural wool batting cover for spring mattress that I stripped of PVC and foam'), two laundry bags for the diaper pail, the remaining diaper soaker pads, an extra water-proof bassinet sheet (yes I replaced the foam mattress with a home-made cotton one), and two wet bags for to stuff inside a diaper bag. I still have two crib sheets and 4 bamboo diaper inserts to make, but all the vital stuff is done! We have anough diapering stuff to keep the kid's bottom dry and he won't be sleeping in the crib for at least the first month. I am sure that won't stop me from continuing to sew every night until the kid shows up, but hey. Once I run out of sewing projects, I can start knitting......

No comments: